Monday, June 29, 2015

~Another Ending~



If you're here at my blog looking for answers, I'm going to break something to you. 
I don't have them. 
All I've got are 
-thoughts-
- Questions-
-Words-
-Stories-
Last week started hard. The first two babies I ever babysat said 
g o o d b y e 
to me. 
They aren't really babies any more. Little people with 
big minds,
 big hearts, 
and big souls.

"I don't want to leave you behind Miss Maddie. I'll come back, I promise," little girl tells me. 

I babysit a lot of kids now, 
but these ones... 
they've left a soft spot in my heart.

 

"Are you going to miss them?" little sister asks me one night in bed. 
It all floods out then.
 I open up.

"Yeah, I'll miss them.
 I won't just miss their smiles or their laughter, 
I'll miss the way they made me feel special. 
They always saw in me something that no one else did. 
On those  L o N e L y  days when I felt like my world was 
b
a
k
i
n
g,
 little boy came and told me 
he loved me 
in that childish way that pieced my world back together. 
Sure, 
they're just little kids, 
but sometimes little kids see things we don't. 
I don't know why they liked me. 
Maybe it was because of the adventure we had when I rescued his toy out of the toilet. 
Maybe it was because of the surprises I brought in my purse. 
Or maybe...
 it was because of the stories I told them. I don't know why, 
but they did. 
So yeah, I'll miss them." 
I turn to my emotional little sister and jokingly ask, "You aren't crying, are you?" 

There is a sniffle. 
Then, two pitiful choked words.
 "I am."
 Silence. 
"Maddie, that is so sad. You may never see them again." 

"But now they know how to tell stories. They can take that with them," I remind her. 
Maybe I'm comforting her, 
or maybe I'm comforting myself. 

"Can I sleep in your bed?" whimpers little sister. 

"No," I return, "But you can come snuggle for a while." 

We snuggle for a while 
and we cry for a while 
and we try to understand. 


Sooooo...
 all that to say -> I don't have answers. 
I don't know why they left.
 All I know is that God put them in my life for a season 
and 
took them out. 
I'm so happy to be able to say I could be part of their story, 
and I'm so happy that they were part of mine. 
<3 storyteller

6 comments:

  1. *Sniff* this was so sweet! I think this is one of my favorite posts! *Sob*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you Isabelle. Hug through the screen!

      Delete
  2. I don't know what to say... this is so sad, so touching, so sweet. Aw, can I just give you a hug? <3

    ReplyDelete